Thursday 28 May 2009

Seasonal seaside

For most of the year Kaos and I have the beach to ourselves.

Actually, that’s not strictly true. The beach teems with bird life all year round: three types of gull (black headed, lesser black backed, herring); common terns (or sea swallows as they’re sometimes known on account of their long white tail feathers and dazzling aerobatic displays); two different kinds of plover (ringed plover and little ringed plover); little egrets, small bright white members of the heron family; shiny clever crows; and the universal feral pigeons. And my personal favourites, the wonderful oystercatchers. Beautiful comical birds, all black and white and with long thin orange pipe-like beaks and matching eyes, they look a little like elongated puffins as they pick and wade among the winkles and the oysters lying on the hem of the tide. Their call is one of the most life-affirming sounds you will hear, a cheery piping A-peep! A-peep! as they chatter to each other or fly overhead.

The stretch of the beach where you’ll spot most of this bird crowd is nearly always deserted, save for the occasional dog walker and solitary fisherman. Dog owners on the whole are a friendly type, usually calling out a greeting or raising a hand in distant acknowledgement, but the anglers, like the gulls, pay no heed to human presence. I guess that fishing is not a sport that attracts the gregarious kind.

But for around three months, from now through to about September, we – the dog walkers, the fishermen, the birds – are joined by the summer beach goers. The instant barbequers; the pushchairs with grubby faced toddlers; the younger teenagers turning tricks on the skateboard ramp whilst the older ones rev up their cars in the car park; the families skimming stones into the water and collecting bucketfuls of shells; the romantic couples strolling arm in arm eating chips. A few days ago, a smiling laughing family wearing saris and smart suits stopped Kaos and me to take our photograph as we walked along the promenade.

It’s not just the number of human visitors that rises in the summer either. Lured by plentiful seaside insects in the warmer months, the regular cast of birds is joined by elegant mute swans, swooping swallows, pied wagtails, starlings, sparrows, and several species of ducks and geese. If you’re very lucky you’ll occasionally see a kestrel overhead, intuitively drawn from his arable hunting grounds a few miles away, hovering and diving and searching for rich pickings among the startled pigeons. You might catch the flash of a turquoise kingfisher darting along the banks of the fresh water culvert that runs parallel to the sea. Or, if you’re eagle-eyed, see a huge glossy cormorant diving and fishing out among the waves. When he’s finished, he’ll perch on the gantry that juts out from the docks and spread his wings to dry. With his wings wide in the dazzling golden light of summer, he looks just like the standard from Imperial Rome. My bird book says he shouldn’t be in this part of the country, shouldn’t be anywhere near this beach. He obviously hadn’t read the book.

There is plenty of room for all of us on the beach, of course. There’s a part of me that wishes that more people would come out and enjoy it even when the weather’s cold and dark and wet. But there's a little secret part of me too that loves having the beach all to myself. Just me, the dog, and a thousand thousand birds.


Photo of a foxglove in my little back garden, taken this afternoon on my mobile phone

6 comments:

  1. It would seem you live by a bird watcher's paradise, Katy. I probably have lived in proximity to such a variety of birds at times, too, but never had an eye as discerning as you possess.

    I lived on a lake for a couple of years when I first moved back to Minnesota, and actually did not care for summers there due to constant water traffic (noise) from water skiers and fishermen.

    When private ownership of a woodland or a beach is not possible, the best alternative is ownership of a canoe. Having a woodland or a beach all to oneself is perfection, to me, and finding them is the precise reason god created the canoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the great joys of my childhood was to go to the beach in summer with my grandfather. We would go at about 5am and enjoy a swim. The whole exercise would be conducted almost in silence. There was rarely anyone else around until about 6 when the dog walkers would arrive.
    I miss living close enough to visit the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah well, Fram, it was when I lived at the barn - out in the middle of the countryside - that I first really started to notice birds. It seemed impolite of me somehow to enjoy their company without knowing who or what they were - one little brown bird looks much like another until you start to notice the differences. So I started looking them up in a book.

    Once you've got the hang of it - once you've got your eye in, if you like - you can tell them apart quite easily. I still come home from the beach and look up 'new arrivals' with each season.

    A woodland or a beach to oneself - yes, I can go with that. Every canoe is an island perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your early morning swims with your grandfather sound really wonderful Cat.

    Alas I'm not a natural 'morning person', but on the rare occasions I happen to be awake at that sort of time of day, the beach is a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you live by a beautiful beach. I love the sounds and smells of the ocean, the birds, feeling the sand between my toes. Sometimes I think on a cold, grey day the beach is the most beautiful. I love to be all bundled up in my blanket while I watch the wild sea, nobody around or maybe one special somebody...LOL...a wonderful place for reflection.
    Have a Happy Day, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is beautiful Kelly. It's not a 'picture postcard' type of beach - pebbles instead of sand, for a start - but it is absolutely wonderful I think.

    A special somebody... Hmmm, now there's a thought! Ok, how about... the beach with nobody around but me, the birds, the dog and a special handsome somebody in an Arran sweater??! ;-)

    ReplyDelete