Wednesday 6 May 2009

Sort of a top hat day

Having a bit of an inverse Irving Berlin day today involving the forced replacement of emotional seepage with a stiff upper lip.

That’s the trouble when you’ve allowed your right brain to gain the upper hand: emotional leaks and tremblesome lips. No such problem with the trusty logical left side, domain of practicality and good old British reserve. So how does one prevent a quiver from becoming a river, a little cloud of gloom from becoming a thunderhead of doom?

Step into the sunshine and take full advantage of a day working at home to spend an hour lying in a joyful red reclining chair in the bright breezy garden. Watch the wet washing billowing and flapping on the line in a most satisfactory way. Shut your eyes and observe the little pin pricks of light shining through your lids. Trace the trails of the tiny black dots as they dance and wander across the inside of the thin closed membrane. Listen to the sounds of the wings of the sparrows as they land on the bird feeder. Whirring? Purring? Laugh at their pickiness as they reject and drop discarded seeds with disdainful beaks. Pluck out some moult hairs from the dog’s haunches whilst he snores. Throw the beach-found blue rubber ball when he grumbles at you for doing so. Make a cup of tea in your favourite bone china mug with the pictures of bees on it. Smoke a few cigarettes and remember that although it’s your last pack of duty frees you haven’t paid full price for 20 since February. Pinch out a few baby weeds and hope they’re not the seedlings you’ve been nurturing. Return to the desk with a bowlful of muesli topped with yogurt and honey. Drink more tea. Continue work where you left off. Smile.

Job done.



I'm puttin' on my top hat
Tyin' up my white tie
Brushin' off my tails

I'm dudein' up my shirt front
Puttin' in the shirt studs
Polishin' my nails

I'm steppin' out, my dear
To breathe an atmosphere that simply reeks with class
And I trust that you'll excuse my dust when I step on the gas

For I'll be there
Puttin' down my top hat
Mussin' up my white tie
Dancin' in my tails


Extract from Top Hat, White Tie & Tails by Irving Berlin (1935) from the musical Top Hat (nominated for four Academy Awards)


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day, Katy. Perfect way to chase the blues away! Enjoy youself...I see you there in your joyful red chair in your bright and breezy garden...LOL I am smiling...I hope you are too :)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lovely day, thanks Kelly. Blues completely chased away now too. They never last too long :-)

    Thank you for dropping by as always, great to see you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn brains. A person never can trust them. It is like they have a mind of their own. I have threatened mine, tried to bribe it, flattered it, these things and more, many times, but it continues to ignore me and do exactly what it pleases.

    Possibly, Katy, I will try your prescription here the next time mine gives me trouble.

    Being a "movie nut" as well as a "book nut" and a "gun nut," I have seen "Top Hat" at least a half-dozen times. Fred was a dancer, for sure, but I liked him in dramatic roles better, for whatever reason. Maybe I was jealous of his dancing talent.

    ReplyDelete