Thursday 4 June 2009

Moths and buckets

The dog is enormously companionable in so many ways, but the one thing he lacks is conversational talent. This is by no means always a bad thing.

In any case, as his repertoire of wants is simple - eating, walking, running, playing, cat chasing, postie barking, loo going, snoozing - it's never too difficult to decode his desires from his body language. Quizzical eyebrows + attentive rod-backed sitting = walk; big eyes + pacing = garden; wolverine spinal hair raising + head dip = play. And so on. I can read him like a billboard sized optician's chart, and he me: his evening walk-associated time telling is a canine work of genius. Year round, light or dark, his 9pm alarm is set on perma-mode; however distracted I am by whatever it is I'm occupied with, he'll remind me it's time to go.

Canine or human, body language works just fine as a means of communication most of the time. I've always found it easy to understand, and to be understood, in countries where we have no language in common whatsoever. Gesture, posture, expression, tone of voice and a hundred and one other things translate fluently whether you speak English or Arabic. Or as Roo would put it, the universal language of nods, smiles and cigarettes. One might even go so far as to argue that words just get in the way of understanding sometimes.

However, where I do wish the dog would occasionally speak up is when I find myself faced with a dilemma and need someone to ask. Today is a good example. My tiny incumbent army of colourful creeping Lackey Moth caterpillars that arrived en masse a few weeks ago have started to begin the next phase of their life cycle. One by one, and now in increasing numbers each day, they have stopped their leaf-munching festival and have commenced cocoon production.

It's quite fascinating to watch them gradually, methodically, instinctively spin a fine web of silk around themselves. Eventually, after a day of spinning and weaving, what was the caterpillar falls motionless inside a delicate bud of the finest creamy white cotton silk yarn. Only the faintest glimmer of a darker shape inside the inch long cocoons provides the clue that there once was something else. And within a day, that dark burr too has gone. I don't know how long they'll be in their cocoons until the adults emerge, but they've been doing this since the dawn of time so I'm guessing their alarm clock, too, is pretty accurate.

Some of them - perhaps a dozen or two - have chosen to site their cocoons in the edges of the frames around the outside of my front door and windows. I'm happy for the house front to play incubator; and in any event, I'm intrigued to watch them. But here's my dilemma. I'm concerned that when the window cleaner comes, as he's sure to in the next week or so, he'll sweep them away with his bucket and cloth.

Do I hope that, in his general speedy window washing gruffness, he'll just stick to cleaning the glass and leave the frames? Or do I tape a little hand-written note on the window saying... Well, saying what? Please mind the cocoons? Please don't wake the caterpillars? Quiet please - Lackey Moths sleeping overhead? Do not disturb - metamorphosis in action? For this way I fear madness lies. Or at the very least a reputation as the eccentric moth lady at number 3.

That I had even considered discussing this with the dog is probably not a good sign either.



Picture of Lackey Moth caterpillar by Steve Bennett

6 comments:

  1. I would leave a note, Katy. Better to be known as "the eccentric moth lady at number 3" than as "the exterminator."

    Dogs have to be among the best time-tellers in the known universe. Do something in particular two or three times, and the ritual has been born, with expectations of the exact action at the identical time from now until doomsday.

    I know I have said this before, but I positively must repeat my notion that Roo has to be the image of you in thought and deed. Cigarette language? The words struck me like an awakening. I have been considering resuming my consumption of cigars, but the thought of cigarette talk stirred more than my imagination (or taste buds). Yes, yes, yes, for restaurant or bar talk with cigarettes.

    Finally, going back to your previous post: I have an immediate member of my family who owns a Damien Hirst. As usual, I stand outnumbered.

    Finally, (last time). A Moody Blues concert from Royal Albert Hall, recorded in 2000, is being shown at this moment on television here. Loving it. The band will be in Minneapolis in August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, "Danger - do not disturb sleeping dragon moths?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Katy. You are not crazy...I discuss things with my dog all the time...LOL
    Perhaps it is the laws of nature, the foolish moths have attached their cocoons to places they should not be...Survival of the fittest! LOL
    PS: I love what you said about the magic of the sea today at my blog :) You are a very smart lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really made me chuckle, Fram. You're so right about the dog - "from now until doomsday" - absolutely spot on!

    I think you're spot on too about Roo. She is very like me in a lot of ways. She is absolutely correct with her universal cigarette language and in putting it like that has put words to the notion I'd always known instinctively but never articulated. Do raise a glass to her if you decide to treat yourself to a cigar or cigarette :-)

    Are you going to go and see The Moody Blues, or will the timing of the concert coincide with your Europe trip?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that Cat! I'll have to look up in my book and see if there are any "dangerous moths" resident in the UK. Although I must admit that moths seem like the complete opposite of anything that couldbe dangerous - but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see I'm not alone in my dog-related ramblings, Kelly. Or perhaps that just means we're both mad... :-)

    Hmmm... survival of the fittest? I hadn't thought of it like that. I love the way you've called them foolish moths - that's really delightful and I shall think of them as that from now on :-)

    Hope you have a great weekend - sunshine and showers here, but who cares about the weather when there's no work for a couple of days?! :-)

    ReplyDelete