Wednesday 24 June 2009

The pit of Apocalypto

I was perhaps a slightly reluctant cinema goer when I went along to see Mel Gibson's 2006 epic, Apocalypto. The trailers and the general pre-release hype around the film - set in Central America during the declining period of the Mayan civilisation - didn't really grab me and its subject matter - a tribesman who must escape imprisonment and human sacrifice after the capture of his village - didn't appeal either. And it is fair to say that, over all, I found the film rather too long and rather too 'boyish' for my tastes.
*** Plot spoiler alert***
if you haven't seen Apocalypto, don't read
any further
But several years on from my one and only viewing, some of its scenes and themes remain with me in spite of my misgivings. As our hero Jaguar Paw (Rudy Youngblood) is led away from the sacked and burning remains of his tribe's home, we know that he has hidden his heavily pregnant wife, Seven (Dalia Hernandez), and young son, Turtles Run, in the empty shaft of a deep sink hole. As the captives are herded to their unknown fate, one of their number spots the trailing vine that Jaguar Paw has left for his wife to enable her to climb out of the pit. Suspicious, he severs it and cuts off her only means of escape.

So whilst the main (and lengthy) action of the film now switches to the tribesmen and the gory horrors they endure at the hands of their captors, my female attention is wholly with Seven and her predicament at the bottom of the shaft; I am far less concerned with the fate of Jaguar Paw and his comrades, even though it is they that occupy screen for most of the rest of the film.

I cannot know whether a male viewer of Apocalypto would have the same preoccupation with the destiny of Seven as me or if the (undoubtedly stirring) derring-do of our band of conquered heroes, locked in mortal combat with their foes, takes precedent. I suspect the latter, because for all its sixteenth century setting, it is as fast a paced non-stop action-thriller as, say, The Bourne Identity.

If that is the case, then the film has perhaps 'not worked' for female audience members: what, in the male-eyed view, is very much a sub-plot delivering a useful slice of motivation (the fate of Seven) is, for women, the main focus. For me, no matter how many poisoned arrows are slung or heads gruesomely removed from shoulders on the top of the temple, I am still at the bottom of that sink hole with the pregnant woman.

Several years on and I still from time to time close my eyes and try to imagine how I would escape such a predicament. There I am, stuck at the bottom of a hole not of my own making or choosing. How can I claw my way out of it to the sun?

Of course, in the film, Jaguar Paw eventually escapes his captors and arrives to rescue Seven and Turtles Run (and the new baby which has been born in the meanwhile) in just the nick of time. But real life is rarely like that. Whether the pit we are in is one we have inadvertently dug ourselves or have accidentally stumbled into whilst our attention was occupied elsewhere, ninety nine times out of a hundred it will be only ourselves that we have to rely on to haul us back out again. So how do we do it?

One step at a time, one foot after another, one word following the next, and with our eyes fixed unwaveringly on the blazing light just up ahead at the end of the tunnel.

6 comments:

  1. Two points and two solutions for you with this one, Katy.

    I really enjoyed this film. I have watched it twice on cable television. These days, it takes a movie such as "Apocalypto" (pre-20th Century time frame) to produce a "chase scene" that has a scent of reality to it, and that made it for me.

    Undoubtedly, you are correct in your male/female assessment of who follows what in the story line. But, I must add that I never doubted for a moment our protagonist would rescue his family just as the clock ran out.

    What I really liked was the clever closure to the movie; the symbolic end of the world as the Native Americans knew it.

    For your second point, you know of what you speak, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy :D I haven't seen the movie so I had to stop reading....but I love the picture...LOL
    I will have to see the movie and return another day :D
    Have a Wonderful Evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I thought it was a very clever ending too, Fram. In a way, it ended up being a film about worlds within worlds I thought - from the macro change of invasion by foreigners at the one end, to the personal-scale saving of one family at the other, and passing through the strife of internicene / territorial conflict in the middle.

    That the film has stayed with me tells me something - perhaps in this case, the message was (for me) stronger than the medium by which it was told?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked the picture Kelly! And don't worry, that's NOT from the film :-) It's a very unusual film - if you do watch it, I;d be interested to hear what you think.

    You have a great evening too - it's gone one in the morning again here and I guess I;d better shuffle off to bed soon... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I go to see a film I want to be entertained. I want to be able to laugh at least once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, t'was not a film packed brimful of laughs to be honest Cat. Great scenery yes; laughs, no. :-)

    ReplyDelete