Tuesday 28 April 2009

A case of mistaken identity?

Gerry stood at the front of the lecture room and tapped the laminated wall chart with his index finger.
"Now, where exactly do you think the mind is located?" he asked. "Can anybody tell me?"
We peered at the diagram, a room full of psychology students, mostly teenaged, mostly with backcombed hair, mostly dressed in army surplus shirts, most of which had tiny German or Danish* flags sewn on them. There was no gender in evidence in the life-sized picture, nor any skin or hair, but plenty of muscles, veins, tendons, organs and a delicate web of scarlet capillaries set inside a human shaped outline. We peered a bit more.
"Er, in the brain?" a tentative voice piped from the back of the room.
"Ah," said Gerry, "yes, that's what we think, don't we? But we don't actually know for sure. There is no 'mind' organ that we've found, not as such, not yet" he continued, "so it could just as easily be found here. Or here." he said, vigorously tapping a foot and a forearm. "We just don't really know."

I've thought about this many times on and off during the twenty or so years since this lecture, and I've certainly met my fair share of folks whose minds indeed seem to be located in bodily areas quite far removed from the brain. But even if my foot is occasionally to be found in my mouth, I'm fairly sure my mind is usually in my brain.

(In fact, I can tell you where exactly. If you imagine my brain as a boiled egg standing on its round end and sliced in half from top to bottom and then in half again from side to side, it's in the top quarter above the nose. The bit that also contains eyeballs. That's where the me-ness of me lives, in a little section at the top of my head like the periscope shaft on a submarine. How about you?)

The only trouble that I've found with my mind's occupation of this lofty penthouse suite is that it sometimes neglects to take into account that it is forced to lug around a person-sized body with it wherever it goes. And that the form it is accompanied with on all appointments is recognisable to others beyond just a set of sometimes blue sometimes greenish-tinted eyes and a splodge of travelling grey matter. Thus requiring my mind to remind my hands to attempt to brush my hair and to apply mascara, shoes and appropriate clothing to the outlying districts.

In the last week, two people that I've met for the first time have remarked to me that I bear a striking resemblance to their cousin, in one case, and a good friend in the other. I didn't think at the time to ask if the similarity was in appearance, gesture, manner, stature, voice, age, colouring, temperament, type or whatever else it is that makes us perceive same-nesses, although I'm assuming that my unknown others are both female. Maybe I've got a doppelganger or two long-lost twins out there somewhere. Or maybe my mind has been lending out my body whilst I'm not looking. I'd probably never notice if it had.


*Even in the two decades since, I've never managed to work out why that was; one can only suppose that the soldiers of those two nations were more careful with their garments than their quartermasters had predicted.

8 comments:

  1. You ask too difficult questions, Katy. In any case, I cannot reveal the location of my mind because I lost it some years ago. Perhaps, misplaced is a better word to use here. I recall where I had been all day on the day that I misplaced it, and backtracked the entire route. It was gone. Whether it wandered off on its own or someone else picked it up, I have never determined. I will keep looking for it, in any case.

    It always seemed odd to me that college/university students frequently are seen adorned in military garb, particularly those who shun actual service themselves. I am sure it must be some type of so-far undiagnosed disorder of the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You describe things in such a wonderful way. I love to come and get my daily dose of Katy :) I can see your brain wobbling up there in your head...LOL
    And I've definitely met a great number of men with their brains in other parts of their, er, anatomy? LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful writing. I don't know where it is exactly, but I do know my mind is excited and intrigued by your thought provoking piece. The day we completely understand these things, i think we'll find we've lost something - maybe even our minds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read "Into the Silent Land" by Paul Broks? That's very good (and very readable) on all matters pertaining to the intangible mind, which is indeed without specific location, being conceptual rather than material, like the elusive 'self'.
    He writes well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a wonderful fridge magnet saying that I love, Fram:

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

    I have no light to shed on the wearing of military garments by students either, and I was one of them. The appeal of a shirt for a pound is no doubt one aspect, but not the whole story for sure. It's a fashion that seems to have persisted, here at least. I'll ask Roo if she has any thoughts on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee hee, Kelly, haven't we all...

    Thank you for your kind words, and for visiting. Great to see you here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melinda, and thank you for visiting and your very kind words. Yes, I agree completely - I think there are some things better left unsolved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Philip, and thank you for dropping by. No I haven't read that book but it sounds just like the sort of thing that I'd enjoy very much. I'll look out for it - thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete