Monday 6 April 2009

The right tool for the job

It’s been a weekend of nature and nurture I think. Well, if you count gardening and a mother and daughter shopping expedition as part of that equation that is. But it has left me pondering this evening about the way in which some animals use tools.

It started off with me buying three strips of turf at the garden centre. Roo had mentioned when she arrived home last weekend that it would be nice to have some grass in the garden for the dog. The dog like grass for various purposes – including sunbathing – but, renovations not withstanding, the back yard is about the size of a shoe box. Nevertheless, I could see that there was a small space into which grass could be introduced and I prepared it the best I could over a couple of hours of shovelling and raking this morning before heading off in the car to buy the turf.

The first strip went down fine. The second needed to be cut to size to fit, but with what, exactly, does one cut a roll of turf? I had no idea so sat down on the stool in the garden in the sunshine with a cup of coffee and a cigarette and thought about it. The spade was too clumsy, the rake and hand trowel inappropriate, I had no saw, and I’m sure if I was a better person I’d have one of those half-moon shaped lawn-edging devices, but I’m not so I haven’t. And then a little beam from the patiently orbiting star ship lateral thinking struck me. I wandered into the kitchen, picked up the long serrated bread knife and set about slicing through the cylinder of turf as if it was a giant Swiss roll but made with soil and grass rather than chocolate sponge and jam. Perfect.

Turfing / Swiss roll cutting completed, I moved on to planting the couple of hundred summer flowering bulbs that have been hanging around for eternity. The bulbs were all rather tiny ugly-looking things, somewhat like brown fossilised iced gems but without the biscuit and with some flaky onion skin type stuff around them. The instructions on the bag said to plant them either 1 or 2 inches deep. This again sent me back to my gardening tool pondering stool; the trowel or spade would not be any good – too wide, too deep – and I haven’t got one of those dibbers or dabbers or whatever they’re called, so what to use? And then, eureka, the second lateral beam of the day sent me back to the kitchen utensil pot to select an alternative garden tool of choice, this time the porridge stirrer (or spurtle to give it its proper Scottish name). In no time, I was poking perfectly sized holes in the soil and dropping in the ugly bulbs at a rate of knots.

There are moments – and I have plenty of them, believe me – when I think how very closely we are related to the other animals that we share the planet with. Chimps and monkeys that use sticks to extract termites, collect honey or to escape from an enclosure, for instance. Or Egyptian vultures that use specially selected stones to break open ostrich eggs. Or woodpecker finches, native to the Galapagos Islands, that use cactus spines to prise ants out of holes. Or green herons that learn to use bait to go fishing. Or the laboratory-dwelling crow that learned to use a cup he’d been given as a toy to fetch water to moisturise his food.

I think next time that I’m planning to do any gardening or having folk round for some grub, I’ll make sure that I invite a variety of birds and a couple of monkeys. After all, if they can do all that with just a mossy old stick or a couple of stones, imagine what they could do with a kitchen full of tools.

4 comments:

  1. It amazes me sometimes how helpless women are, Katy. Such easy problems to solve, with no need for a stool, a cup of coffee or a cigarette.

    Had I been there, I would have simply dropped the sod in the space available and allowed it either to grow into place on its own, or stay there as a lump forever.

    And, the bulbs. Just walk along kicking indentations with your heel. What's an inch or two in the overall scheme of things? No need to cover them with earth, either. A few probably would make it either way.

    Skip the monkeys and the herons. Just ask me for advice. We men are at least as smart as monkeys and herons. I think.

    Very neat and imaginative way of handling your yard problems and your way of writing about solving them. Now, you know why I do not garden. Have a good day at the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Katy :) What a lovely weekend you have had. Once again, you've taken me along with your beautiful writing. I can just see your adorable self sitting in the garden with your kitchen tools :) I do the same thing all the time...I thought I was the only one...LOL!
    I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and yes, definitely do invite the birds and the monkeys...I know the meal will be fabulous...LOL
    Good luck with the alarm clock tomorrow morning and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A man who's as smart as a monkey or a heron? Gosh Fram, you really are one of a kind! ;-)

    Just kidding you back of course :-)

    No, I'm not what you'd call a natural gardener either. Am very far from being one of those people for whom the heavy clay parts like the Red Sea or whose gardens rival the Amazon rainforest in their profusion of plant species. But I did rather enjoy it this time - not least partly because the space is so small.

    Had a good day thank you, in my new office for the first time and generally starting to find my way around. Hope you had a good day too - were / are you at work today?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, you are very far from being the only one! Where would a woman be without her ability to utilise even the least promising of tools or footwear in a novel (and usually quite dangerous) way? :-)

    Thank you for your good wishes, which must have worked as I got up (more or less) on time this morning. I hope you had / are having a great day too :-)

    Must go now - the monkeys are having a bit of a falling out with the herons over the best way to boil an egg...

    ReplyDelete