Thursday 26 March 2009

And then there were none

Even under normal circumstances I’m not keen on making a big splash when I leave a job. I’m not saying it’s wrong to do so by any means; it’s just not my way. After all, under normal circumstances, you’ve taken a conscious decision to leave the job you’re in and move to another because for some reason the job you’ve got just doesn’t fit you properly any more. Under normal circumstances.

I guess redundancy is not really normal circumstances. That it might be common circumstances at the moment is certainly helpful and reassuring in the shoring-up of self-confidence dimension but otherwise - at an individual level - doesn’t really cut the mustard. I should say that I’m not remotely bothered about leaving this job; the only thing that had concerned me was finding another before my somewhat fragile finances fell down the gap in between like the TV remote control accidentally falling down the back of the sofa. You know you’ll find it again, just will it be quickly enough to catch the documentary you really want to watch before it turns into a cardboard soap opera.

But I have –luckily – found a new job that starts next week and have already shaken the dust from my feet of this one. So my reluctance to have any kind of leaving do was even more heightened than normal. Nevertheless people had asked me if we were having a final get together, and so a few weeks ago I’d invited our little team along for a lunch at the Tudor Rose pub in Sittingbourne. After all, it would give us all a chance to say goodbye to each other for the last time, and any excuse for a pub lunch is good to go as far as I’m concerned.

The first previously accepted apology came on Tuesday. A colleague would be elsewhere, in another part of the county, she said, and couldn’t cancel. Perhaps we could catch up another time? Of course, I said, yes, we’d catch up another time, gave her my personal number too, and know full well I’ll never hear from her again. It’s a polite end of work charade that suits all parties I’ve found and I’m happy to play it. The next apology was brought along by another colleague upon arriving at the pub. A washing machine problem, apparently, so he wouldn’t be able to join us lest the water ran into the flat below. And, added my news-bearing colleague with a flourish, he said his household insurance has just run out. My absent colleague does clearly not read as much detective fiction as me, otherwise he’d know the surest way to spot a fib is one that’s dressed up in a fur coat and diamonds and way too much detail. The final apology didn’t actually arrive at all; or rather the colleague who’d confirmed he was coming along just didn’t show up. Which is at least as blunt and as honest as one could wish for.

So in the end our final get together was four of us, sitting round a rectangular table in the large square conservatory at the back of the pub. One chose not to eat, electing instead to sip Diet Coke and watch as we three shovelled forkfuls of delicious pub grub and made conversation in between. As she stood up to go, another colleague also got to her feet pleading pressure of work, wished us well and put a tenner on the table for her food. The two of them left together, making telephone gestures with their hands and mouthing ‘keep in touch’ through the window as they walked to their cars.

The two of us looked at each other and asked for the bill, which we settled in cash and walked outside into the early afternoon sunshine. She starts her new job the day before me and we’ve grown quite close over these last few months. When she said she’d keep in touch, I have the feeling that she actually might. I watched her get into her car and drive off to collect her young children from her parents’ house.


I stood there for a moment longer in the car park, alone and smoking a cigarette, then I too got into my car and drove off. And then there really were none.

9 comments:

  1. You have given me something to look forward to, Katy. Your recent situation is different from all of mine, and I do have a nice collection of mugs received as farewell gifts. I always enjoy "final" get-togethers, mostly to see who actually does put in an appearance.

    Yes, write about lambing. I have no experience there, and would like to hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write about lambing I will then! I think I'll have to ponder on it a bit for a day or two first; I was very young so I'll have to get the well bucket out to draw all the memories up to the surface.

    Thinking, thinking... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, with a name like the Tudor Rose pub in Sittingbourne how could they resist. It sounds like a fun place. How exciting starting a new chapter in your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it a bit sad when all my friends from my work didn't come to say a final farewell when I left last year. Obviously, another talent I haven't inherited from you!

    But yes, I do totally agree with you about the fibbing -- it's always best to keep scant on the details, as if you haven't really thought about the bigger implications ... Details are normally revealed through conversation, not laid plainly on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter sounds just like you!

    Don't panic. Sooner or later I will get my hours sort of in sync and quit being a pest.

    As long as I'm here, good morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Kelly, the Tudor Rose is a lovely pub - and even better in my mind is that it does fabulous food! :-)

    Thank you very much for your good wishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roo, that was spoken like a true novelist! :-) Agree absolutely: fibs should be hungry and dressed in rags, not enter in mink and diamonds to a great drum roll.

    I think it is different when you've really enjoyed working somewhere, like you (mostly) did at Dunelm or I did at MHS. Then you are genuinely sorry to go. But in this case...

    Can't wait to see you tomorrow night love! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee hee Fram, I think you're spot on about Roo sounding just like me! :-) Although she might be cross with me for saying this, she is an absolutely cracking fiction writer.

    And a very good morning to you too. I'm just building up my courage to go out and start digging in the garden. Just one more cup of tea first perhaps... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning to you Katy :)
    I love how you said, "fibs should be hungry and dressed in rags, not enter in mink and diamonds to a great drum roll."
    You have such a fabulous way with words! How nice to spend time with your daughter too. She sounds wonderful. You did a good job raising her :)
    Now get out there in the garden and stop fooling around...LOL...Just teasing you know.
    Have a Wonderful Day and Fabulous Weekend!

    ReplyDelete