Sunday 1 March 2009

Not a team game

The cat has green eyes, black fur and great balance. I watched it walk around the perimeter of the garden fence on its small ball-like paws before jumping the 6 feet drop into the back yard. I’d bought a tin of tuna at the corner shop to have with my lunch time noodles, but the fish was mushy and cheap and unappetising and I scraped it off my plate onto the ground outside for the benefit of some passing creature. This cat’s just won the jackpot.

I’ve spent today over at my little house by the seaside writing the handouts for the presentation I have to give at my interview tomorrow morning. My desk top computer’s still here and – so my reasoning went – I’d have 8 uninterrupted hours to do my research and print out the presentation before returning to the barn for an early night.

Well I have done it and the handouts are adequate if not inspired. But I’ve found myself easily distracted today, flittering miasma-like around the internet reading this and that and catching up from a rare day spent entirely away from the computer yesterday. My mind’s not finding the focus it needs to and I’m hoping that I can fall back on my old interview team mate, adrenaline, to give me the sass I’ll need to shine tomorrow.

In search of further distraction and chocolate, I walked back round to the shop. Loud good-natured cheers were coming from one of the high street pubs and I guess that means there’s a Big Match on. A large man in pale jeans and a rugby shirt walked past me and towards the roaring, swinging two unopened bottles of vodka and a litre-sized one of JD. Soon his voice and booze will join those of his team mates in the pub as they cheer and jeer and wince and scream at the TV set. Win or lose, no doubt hours of bar-side analysis and armchair tactics will follow the final whistle. I don’t much care for football or rugby but this afternoon I am a little envious of their camaraderie.

The cat finished the tuna and scrambled back up the fence and away to the next destination on his dance card. I switched the desk lamp on and went over my notes again. The tea and chocolate are very welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your interview. Think of it as an adventure to be enjoyed.

    I seem to be having problems again posting to your site. Hopefully this turns up, along with another note regarding your descriptive eloquence and Frampton's music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your good luck vibes Fram. I made good allowance for what I expected to be very heavy Monday rush hour traffic on the drive there this morning - so ended up 2 hours early for the interview... With no thermos flask of coffee either.

    Yes, I've been having trouble posting comments as well - hope that sorts itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were actually 17 once? How exciting. I jumped from 16, 2 months to 18, 11 months in a breath.

    Go with Bowie and "Glass Spider" first. Again, I am judging from a 1990-something tape. The first 30 minutes are fantastic. Frampton is on and off again throughout.

    It is about 5:33 a.m. here. I'm still up and awake. It is not so much I cannot sleep as I do not want to sleep. Luck and calm thoughts from me to you. I do have some to spare right now.

    ReplyDelete