Tuesday 24 March 2009

Goodbye to all that

Some of the guidelines our parents issue us when we’re little don’t translate well to the adult world of work.

‘Don’t talk to strangers’, repeated sternly and mantra-like from the lips of our feverishly worried mother as she buttons up our straight-jacket itchy duffle coat and wipes our face with a damp and slightly smelly hankie as we prepare to embark on the perilous journey to the corner shop for a bag of penny chews, for example. It makes perfect sense in her adult-to-child paranoia transaction because it is logical and it will keep us safe from harm; our mother has forgotten that all adults look alike to our child’s eyes and that a stranger isn’t strange once he or she has smiled and said hello. Except for old Mr Smith of course who can’t smile any more because something happened after the war and whom we can’t help but find a little bit sinister in ways we don’t yet have the vocabulary for, but who isn’t in any event a proper stranger – although he certainly is strange – because he runs the corner shop with his portly wife who wears only stained beige cardigans…

Roll the time dice forward by a few decades or so and we might in fact find that we earn a good chunk of our monthly pay cheque precisely by our ability to talk to strangers and to talk strangers into things. Indeed, some of us might even earn our keep by talking to very strange strangers in close quarters and without the protective armoury of tightly-fitting winter outer wear or spit-cleansed faces.

“Respect your elders” is another one. It is perfectly right, proper, fitting and appropriate that our childhood should be passed in a slightly heightened state of free-floating anxiety lest we have accidentally omitted to call the lady whom we know to be Lillian by her given adult-to-child name of Mrs Jones. The terror that can be induced in us by inadvertently finding out the first name of one of our teachers at primary school and daring to say it out loud when we’re busting for the loo and can’t prise her attention away from the picture window is probably listed somewhere as a war crime under the Geneva Convention.

Respecting one’s elders does work in the adult world too as a general rule, with the exception on some occasions of the workplace where the elders in question are behaving with all the logic of a hormone-crazed baboon set loose from a winter of solitary confinement into a compound of fecund and spring-ready fellow primates.

One saying, though, that I think holds good for both child and adult is to do with the weather. Specifically the observation that “March roars in like a lion and leaves like a lamb”. Imminent climate catastrophe not withstanding, this phrase is as true now as it was when I was little and counting the days until my Easter eggs arrived and I could stop giving up whatever it was that I’d given up for Lent encouraged by the peer pressure of Sunday School. (Probably chocolate at a rough guess)

I no longer give up chocolate for Lent (or go to Sunday School for that matter; being 40 and all I think I’d stand out a bit). But March as a month sure is changeable. The beach this morning was pure balaclava weather, forcing me to keep my lips tightly sealed to stop the freezing wind from setting off all of my dental nerves like a miniature in-mouth firework display of synaptic activity. Yet by the time I reached the office building, the sun was shining, the grass glowing with growth and the sky full of cawing rooks carrying singular twigs to their nests high in the bare tree tops.


It was not Easter either, but it was the end of my own personal Lent; for today was the final time that I shall set foot in that office building. My last remaining colleague and I met with our director and the chairman of our charity and went up to the café to have a cup of tea and a doughnut. We talked, we laughed, we got sugar over our fingers and around our lips and at last the pretence of the previous few months was over and we said our goodbyes. We embraced, we pecked each other on the cheek in that slightly clumsy British way and we wished each other well as we departed in our four directions.

In keeping with the nature of the month that draws soon to a close, I took one last look around our old office and slipped away quietly into history like a lamb.


6 comments:

  1. I still try to avoid talking with strangers, Katy, of course, that does not include young ladies.

    Sometimes I have no clue where your story is going until, with a burst, you arrive.

    I recall you were offered another job, but do not remember with certainty if you said you took it. I'm curious, if you have a mind to mention it.

    If this is here twice, blame it on ??? I was not certain if it took last night; it did not seem to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes two of us then - sometimes I have no clue where my story is going either Fram :-) I guess sometimes I just write for the pleasure of writing.

    Yes, I have taken the job I was offered. I'll be working as a business development manager for a university. More about that soon-ish - I start next Wednesday - on April Fools Day to be precise... Until then I'm enjoying a bit of r'n'r :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck with your new work !

    It caught my eye in your profile that you're the author of a Survival Guide. Well, I like to read guides and books that teach one something practical. At the moment, I'm reading a small book entitled "Watch repairing as a hobby" by D.W. Fletcher, and hope to have the time to learn and practice the tips given in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I began a job once on April Fool's Day. I took over a prison. Makes sense, right? Figures, doesn't it? Very journalistic. One of my sabbaticals.

    Anyway, I sure wish you well in your endeavor. Just make certain is does not interfere with writing here. I would be lost without you here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind words Duta. I tend to be more of a non-fiction reader as well, although I do like a good gripping story from time to time. Learning how to repair watches sounds fascinating. Mending time, as it were. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like one of those amazing coincidence things that do happen in real life but that you'd never swallow in the pages of a novel, Fram. Incredibly poetic and journalistic, yes. Brilliant.

    Thank you, as ever, for your kind good wishes. But don't worry, I'll be here writing. I really hope you will be too.

    ReplyDelete