Wednesday 25 March 2009

Digging up the past

The barn was around 200 years old when we bought it and already in an advanced state of decay. Sometimes during the long hard process of converting it into a house I’d stop and wonder what its original builders would have thought of the idea.

The barn had been built to house cattle; this much we knew from the large wooden manger that was still clinging on at one end of one of the gables. At some point, the full double height building had also been divided horizontally into two. We took a guess that the new upper level had been used to store grain in an attempt to make it just that little bit harder for the rats to get at it. The floor boards on the top storey were reinforced with iron strips to help deal with the loading. That part had worked, although the presence of deep and multi-generational rats’ nests in the walls confirmed that only rodents with vertigo had been deterred by the effort.

The long since abandoned rats’ nests and the manger were not the only signs of previous habitation. Tucked here and there behind rafters or floorboards were more human signs; rusty tobacco tins and ancient empty bottles, irregularly shaped of thick green tinted glass and with a marble caught in the throat, showed us where weary farm hands had taken their ginger beer and rested after a day’s hard labour. When we excavated the floors downstairs to cast a more stable concrete slab, we unearthed tens of thousands of shards of broken glass and hundreds of pieces of clay tobacco pipes.

Excavating the floors was the toughest job of the whole conversion in my mind. Because the rest of the still somewhat unsteady building was standing over our heads, it was much too risky to use machinery and so we dug by hand. For three months, night after night after night and illuminated by a harsh electric spotlight, we excavated the whole area down to the depth of more than one yard. It was exhausting work and carried out with no greater sophistication of tools than the original farm labourers would have used when they built the place more than two centuries before. Even on the coldest evenings of winter, the physical effort of digging the thick London clay would have sweat coursing down my face and dripping off the tip of my nose within minutes. It was much like going to some kind of intensive hard labour boot camp gym for hours every night; needless to say, we grew very strong and very fit.

Near the end of our digging and with the finishing line in sight, we made a remarkable discovery. What had seemed at first to be a piece of particularly stubborn buried brickwork turned out to be the remains of an ancient forge. We gradually and carefully unearthed what was left of the structure; some standing remains, complete with ashes, of a forge that long pre-dated the rest of the barn even. It was impossible to remove it from its centuries-old resting place, so when the time came to lay the sub-floor insulation and cast the new slab, we made sure that the forge was completely shielded from the liquid cement. Maybe one day, some time in the distant future, somebody else will come along and reveal it to the light once more.

I was out working in my little garden again today, clearing more rubble and digging through the soil to lower the ground levels and create a couple of raised beds. I didn’t unearth any real treasures, just a few rusty pieces of ironmongery, empty snail shells and hundreds of startled earthworms. One more day of digging perhaps and then I’ll be able to turn my attention to the nicer parts of gardening: making a gate, choosing plants and planting bulbs and seeds and such. Time enough for a treasure to turn up yet though, I guess.




This wonderful photograph of greenfinches was taken by John Mullin - just announced as this year's winner of the RSPB 'Big Garden Bird Watch' photographic competition.

6 comments:

  1. Your comments today gave me two different feelings, Katy. One, how lucky you were to have experienced the renovation of your barn, and the other, how unfortunate that you will not have it to enjoy and to treasure forever.

    The old forge would have allowed my imagination to run rampant. I would have slept on it, hugging it, at least for a night or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we kept the old forge uncovered for as long as we possibly could, used it as a seating place and a table for our tea breaks and such. In fact we struggled to try and come up with a way to keep it on view as a permanent feature. In the end, the best we could do was to cover it up carefully and preserve it, possibly forever.

    The barn renovation was an amazing (and very challenging) experience and I'm very glad I had the chance to do it. We had intended to stay there forever. That was not to be, as it turned out. I am reconciled to that now. I'm also sure that other - different - amazing challenges lie ahead for me, somewhere in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to unearth such a treasure! You are a very nice person and I am sure you have many wonderfully exciting and amazing challenges in your future :)
    I LOVE the picture of the birds...so beautiful!
    I love to garden too. I'm getting ready to start my summer garden planting soon.
    Have a Beautiful Day, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wrote a comment in your post below, too. If there is anything more beautiful than a baby lamb, I wish someone would point it out to me.

    Just wandering, sleepless, and saying goood morning to pretty girls. Thank you, for being a pretty girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kelly, lovely to see you here!

    Thank you for your kind words. I love birds too, very much, but must confess to being something of a reluctant gardener. Well, usually I am, but this time I'm really enjoying it! Let's hope the sun shines on Friday when I'm back out there with my shovel :-)

    I hope you have a great day too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree completely Fram, baby lambs are one of nature's great wonders. I pulled over at the side of a road the other day and watched one anxiously trotting after her mother as she searched for better grazing. Makes me think too I should write about the times we helped out with lambing on a friend's farm when I was a child.

    Good evening to you too, and thank you for your sweet words. You've quite made me blush :-)

    ReplyDelete